Home NY 1775 NY Recreated Images Links & E-mail Events
Campaign Map  |  Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6  |  Part 7

Part 6 of the Third NY Regiment History

> 31 December 1775 (continued): Finally, additional Colonial troops make their way to Morgan's position, however, many more British forces have also formed up on the other side of the second barricade. A British call for the Colonials to surrender is met by rifle fire from Morgan's men. Morgan's troops then try to scale the second barricade, however, the British musket fire is too strong to break through. Morgan's men and the British begin to exchange heavy fire and the Colonial forces begin to take cover in the houses and other buildings around the barricade. Once under cover, however, British musket fire prevents Morgan's men from leaving the buildings. A separate British force heads down from the Palace gate and takes control of the first barricade, thereby trapping Morgan's men. By 9 a.m., the British bring up a cannon and with no hope for retreat, Morgan's men surrender.

The attack on Quebec is over. The Colonial forces suffer approximately 60 casualties and over 400 men captured. The British suffer fewer than 20 casualties.

Clarke's notes concerning the attack: "...And on Sunday Morning About 2 O'Clock Being A Stormy Night the Gen'l & all our party Concluded to Storm the City of Quebec & all were order'd out & proceeded forward with the 1st 2nd 3rd regiments to the right wing on the South Detachment Went by Wolfe's Cove & Collo Arnolds party went Down to S't Rocks & went in at the North Gate's & throw'd A Signal Over to us when the Began the fire & About 300 of our men got in the Inside the Walls & the Gen'l was shot being the Leading man & his Aide-De-Camp & then Coll'l Cammel & Major DeBoys Gave Orders for A retreat which we accordingly did. & repair'd home to our Quarters Every Company & in about one Hours time we heard that Coll'l Arnolds party had taken possession of the Lower town of Quebec we were all Order'd to March Down to St Rocks. And assist Collonel Arnolds party. & when we got there our Guns was Examin'd & Not one of 50 were able to fire them of by reason of the wet And we were Order'd to retreat & take our Cannonwith us & after the retreat We heard Collonel Arnold's party of men were taken prisoners, Consisting of about 400 men & Cap't Jn'o Lamb & about 60 of his Train of Artillery were also taken prisoners. & Coll'l Arnold rec'd a wound by a Musket Bullet in the calf of the Leg And is in a fin Way to recover & lies now in the Nunnery Hospital. And Cap't Lamb rec'd a wound in the left cheek Bone Under the Eye which almost took the Sight of his Eye from him."

> January 1776: Following Montgomery's death, Arnold assumes command of the Colonial forces around Quebec. However, Arnold can do no more than attempt to maintain the siege of Quebec, given the small number of men at his disposal and his limited supplies. Throughout the long winter months - the worse winter in memory with extreme cold and snow - the Colonial forces hold on around Quebec. The Colonials forces occasionally exchanged shots with the British and launch small raids in an attempt to burn vacant houses, buildings and moored ships around Quebec. Captain Van Benschoten's Company moves to Pointe Levy, south of Quebec across the St. Lawrence River.

Clarke: "I heard On Sat'y Jan'r the 7th 1776 And Coll'l Arnold is Appointed Brigadeer Gen'l And has Command Untill Gen'l Woster Comes with his reinforcement from Montreal. And on Sunday Morning just before Day Break Moses Kip Serj't in our Comp'y Departed this Life About 10 miles from the City of Quebec on Jan'r the 7th 1776. And on the 9th Day on Jan'r 1776, Abraham Height was Appointed Comproller in our Comp'y & Rob't Gray Appointed Serj't And on Thursday Jan'r the 11th 1776 Collonel Clinton of the 3rd regiment came from Montreal & Arriv'd here & took the Chief Command Untill Gen'l Arnold got Better in health And on Saturday Jan'r the 13th we rec'd Orders to be ready to march over to point Levy tomorrow Morning very early & we all accordingly did that was well, Viz Lieut V'n Derburgh, Myself and Serj't Lewis & Serj't Gray & 3 Corp'l & 38 privates and proceeded as far as Mr. Bonfield's at Sillery and could Not Get Across the river that night Nor the Next Day. But on Tuesday Jan'r the 16th there Came over fo Canoes for us and brought Us all over at two Turns Except on Serj't & 1 Corp'l & 12 privates I Left Behind for A Guard p'r Order of Fred'k Weisenf's Brigade Major. And we all got as far as point Levy that Night And on the 18th Day two More of our men came over & Left two Volinteers in there Stead. And on the 19th Day Being Fryday the rear party that was at Sillery came over to us at point Levy. And on the 26th Day of Jan'r Cap't V'n Benscoten came Over to us. And On the 26th Day of Novemb'r I wrote a letter to B'r W'm And Sent it Down by a Man that was Going through poughkeepsie & on Sunday Jan'r the 27th I wrote a Letter to B'r W'm from point Levy..."

> Early February 1776: Colonial reinforcements begin to arrive around Quebec. However, Arnold's number of effective troops doesn't actually go up much due to an outbreak of small pox that keeps many men in the hospital. Clarke: "...on Tuesday Feb'r the 6th Cap't V'n Benscoten was Broke out with the Small pox at the priests house at point Levy."

> 16 February 1776: A muster roll for Van Benschoten's Company is compiled: "A Muster Roll of Captain Elias Van Bunschoten's Company in the third Regiment of New York Forces now in Service of the United Colonies and under the Command of Co'll James Clinton, Dated at Point Levi Febru'y 16th 1776."