Home NY 1775 NY Recreated Images Links & E-mail Events
Campaign Map  |  Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6  |  Part 7

Part 7 of the Third NY Regiment History

> Late February - Mid March 1776: Captain Van Benschoten's Company begins work on a gun battery at Pointe Levy. Clarke: "And on the 17th of Feb'r I Wrote  a Letter to B'r W'm by Peter Chinton who was Going through Poughkeepsie And on the 24th Day of Feb'r Cornelius Swartwout fifer in our Comp'y came to us at point Levy & Draw'd provision the NB. That Paul Butner dies the 10th of March Brought over 12 reigemental coats & 5 p'r of Shoepacks for the Comp'y. And each of our men receiv'd two Dollars on their pay. And on Saturday March the 9th We all receiv'd one month's pay with what we had before And on Sunday night - March ye 10th - we began the East Battery at point Levy in the same Place where Wolf had his Gun battery Last war. And on the 12th Day of March the Cap't of our Comp'y Sent me an Express to the head Quarters for hoes, pick axes & Iron &c, returned to point Levy the 14th Day &c, I was informed that John Romine Belonging to our Comp'y Departed this life by A long Sickness from the 1st of Jan'r Untillthe 10th Day of March: When he Dyed in the Grand Nunnery Hospital at S't rock's, Adjoining the Suburbs of Quebec. AND, on Thursday March ye 21st the Honb'l Coll'l Clinton came to the head Quarters at point Levy as chief Commander & I am imform the whole regiment is Comeing Over to join us. AND the 22nd Instant I Wrote A letter to B'r W'm by H. Besse..."

> 23 March 1776: A group of pro-British Canadians, with the approval of Carleton, plan to attack the Colonial forces at Pointe Levy. However, the Colonials get word of this plan and a force, led by Major Dubois, complete a surprise attack against the advance group of Canadians. Following this attack, the Canadians are incapable of launching their planned attack on Pointe Levy. Clarke: "...and on Saturday Morning - the 23rd - Cap't Brown & 3 other Officers & about 100 men went Down to point Levy on an Allarm to Take french Torreys Some Regulars & Some Negroes Prisoners..."

> Late March - April 1776: The routine continues with the Colonial forces still attempting to harass the British. General Wooster arrives from Montreal and takes command of the Colonial forces around Quebec. Arnold sees no value in remaining in Quebec and retires to Montreal where he assumes command of the Colonial forces there. In mid April, the soldiers of Captain Van Benschoten's Company, Third New York Regiment are discharged. Clarke: "...On Saturday Night March the 23rd Dan'l Smith in our Comp'y the in the Small pox in the hospital Departed This Life, and was Burried in A Very Decent Manner &c AND on Monday March the 25th Samuel Hull was wounded by A Musket Ball through the Shoulder, takeing them Torrey Prisoners And on Tuesday March the 26th I and A reinforcement of 40 men went down to Assist our party of Men Down the Countrey And I Met 30:odd prisoners Our men Was Bringing up in Slays, the same Day, And Arriv'd at point Lacoy the Same Night. & found our Enemy all fle'd, & Proceeded Down the Country 37 miles Below point Lacoy to take Some Prisoners. & Stores of goods, and returned back to point Lacoy with 4 prisoner's on Saturday Night id 30th Instant and Set of for Point Levy the Next day being Sunday. And Got there Just before Night and on Monday the 1st of Aprill we got our Battery at Point Levy finished and the Cannon Mounted, ready to open upon the town of Quebec as Soon as we receive Orders from the Grand Camp. And on Monday one of our Jersey Soldiers rec'd a Very bad Wound in the right thigh at out New Battery & Departed this Life in about 20 hours afterwards. AND on Wednesday Morning the 3rd Day of Aprill we Opend our Battery & fird till about 2 O'Clock & then quit by reason of its raining or by reason of its being a rainey Day. AND Yesterday Morning four of our men Arrived here from Montreal that was there making the regments Cloaths &.  AND on Monday Aprill 8th Cap't V'n Benscoten's {illegible} Set out for Montreal & Took with him Jacob V'n Derburgh & Caleb Matlock. And on Wednesday the 10th of April, I went over to the Grnd Camp & arrivd there the Next Day about 10 O'Clock & was Inform'd that about 3 O'Clock Yesterday in the afternoon Cap't Chausser Deserted into Quebec, And on Thursday Aprill ye 16th all our men Marched up to the ferry and Got over the river S't Laurence the Next Day, And are all going home as soon as they Settle their Accomp's with the Officers, & Seven of our men staid here that was Sick, or not able to go home"

> May - July 1776: British reinforcements sail up the St. Lawrence and reach Quebec. General Wooster knows his forces cannot hold on against this far larger force and orders his troops to fall back towards Montreal. Slowly, the disenchanted, under-supplied Colonial forces move back from Quebec, Pointe aux Trembles and then Trois-Rivieres. By the end of June, with British forces heading up the St. Lawrence, the remaining Colonial forces are forced to abandon Sorel, Montreal, Chambly, Fort St. John and Ile aux Noix and retreat back to Crown Point and Ticonderoga. The Colonial attempt to take Canada is over.

Primary Sources Used For Unit History:
  • "Journal of Major Henry Livingston of the Third New York Continental Line";  The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, 22 (1898): 9 - 33  |  By Gaillard Hunt, S.A.R.
  • "Colonel James Clinton's Orderly Book, 3rd New York Regiment"; Early American Orderly Books, 1748-1817, NYHS  | Transcription by Stephen Gilbert, Third New York Regiment (Recreated) - NWTA/BAR
  • "Anthony Clarke's Memorandum Book, 1775-1776"; NYHS  |  Transcription by Stephen Gilbert, Joe Renkas, & Mary Mulcahy, Third New York Regiment (Recreated) - NWTA/BAR